Whereas the Government of Abia State is aware of the high level of injustice being meted to our partyâ€“the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2015 Abia State Governorship election;
Whereas the government of Abia State believes that only a peaceful and harmonious relationship among Abians can be a catalyst for sustainable socio-economic growth of our dear state;
Whereas the INEC Returning Officer for Abia State Prof Benjamin Ozumba has ordered a supplementary election in some units in the State with a total number of 179,224 registered voters as announced by him;
Whereas in the already released results by Prof Benjamin Ozumba, the PDP candidate Dr Okezie Victor Ikpeazu scored a total of 248,459 votes while his closest rival Alex Otti of APGA scored a total of 165,406 votes which gives Dr Okezie Victor Ikpeazu a clear lead with 83,053 votes;
Whereas the number of registered voters and the number of those that collected their permanent voters cards in the areas slated for supplementary elections in Abia State are of public knowledge; The Abia State government hereby states as follows:
1. The Abia State Government accepts that our party – the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) will participate in the governorship supplementary elections slated for 25th April, 2015 in the state.
2. Government, however, insists that card readers must be used for accreditation.
3. It is governmentâ€™s position that INEC should configure the card readers to reflect the various units where supplementary elections will hold.
4. The card readers should be on zero and shall be inspected by the agents of our party â€“ the Peoples Democratic Party, before and after accreditation to checkmate foul play.
5. The number of accredited voters should also be entered in the appropriate form and signed by all parties.
6. That no Chairman of a Local Government shall be molested or barred from observing proceedings at the collation centres as Chief Security Officers of their various local governments.
7. That we shall no longer tolerate the intimidation of our party members or accept a situation where INEC will allow more party agents or observers for a political party than the number allowed for the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).
8. That no soldier should be at a polling centre, collation centre or inside any local government council as the impartiality of some officers has become questionable. It is also against INEC guidelines for them to do so.
9. That Abia State government insists that the Chairman of INEC Prof Attahiru Jega should come over to Abia State or send senior INEC officials to monitor the supplementary elections as we have no confidence in the Resident Electoral Commissioner Prof. Selina Oko and the State Returning Officer Prof. Benjamin Ozumba.
10. Abians are enjoined to come out en-masse on Saturday 25th April, 2015 and vote for the PDP candidate Dr Okezie Victor Ikpeazu where you see the umbrella (Mbalari).
Dr A.C.B. Agbazuere
Hon. Commissioner for Information & Strategy