Members of Abia State Executive Council met under the Chairmanship of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, PhD, on Tuesday, 26th October, 2021 and resolved as follows:
1. Council approved the bifurcation of Abia State Ministry of Education into Ministry of Basic Education and Ministry of Post Basic Education
2. Council approved the conversion of the following institutions, subject to approval by the State House of Assembly, to Universities as follows:
a. Abia State Polytechnic to become Abia State University of Science and Technology, Aba.
b. Abia State College of Education Arochukwu to become Abia State University of Education, Arochukwu.
c. Abia state College of Health Sciences and Management Studies to become Abia State University of Science and Management Studies, Aba
3. Exco directed the expedition of procurement processes for the establishment of Abia State Automated Garment factory, Aba, with more than 500 new jobs expected at take off in December 2021
4. Exco approved special funding for Abia State Scholarship Board to enable them deliver more foreign scholarships to desiring Abia Students as well as award local scholarships
5. Exco reviewed and approved further release of funds for the new Government House project in Umuahia to ensure realization as scheduled
6. Exco directed the expeditious completion of work at the new JAAC building in Umuahia
7. Exco approved valuation of outstanding work at Ohobo Afara Housing estate and private public partnership arrangement to complete and allocate the buildings to Abians.
8. Council approved the rationalization and development of the land behind NTA Aba through public private partnership.
9. Council approved the renaming of two Technical Schools in the state as follows:
a. Boys Technical College, Aba, now to be known as Government Technical College, Aba
b. Secondary Technical College, Afara, now to be known as Government Technical College, Afara
10. Council approved funding for fortifications, remodeling and completion of work at the Mother & Child Specialist Hospital, Umuahia.
11. Exco approved the award of the following contracts:
a. Reconstruction of 8km failed Numya Junction/Eluama Ogboro Road, with side drains and basement in Isuikwuato LGA by Constar Nigeria Ltd
b. Rehabilitation/Reconstruction of 9 nos of roads in Umuahia as follows:
i. Umuezeagwu-Mbom Road ii. Nkata-Amaeke Road
iii. Ahiaeke Okwuta-Bende Road
iv. Agbo-Umueze Road
v. Umueze-Mbom Road
vi. Umuoji Road
vii. Umuafai-Lodu-Ahiaeke Road
viii. Mgboko Road
ix. Amuzukwu-Mbom Road all in Umuahia North LGA, measuring 25.4km and awarded to Pumeco Industries Nig Ltd
c. Upgrade of Umuahia Township Stadium in Umuahia LGA by Aron Nigeria Limited
d. Construction of 1.2km Umuola-Umuobasi Road, Aba North LGA by Track-Care Global Company Nig. Limited
e. Reconstruction of 6.2km Ukpakiri Abayi Okoroafor-Umuotutu Ntighaizor Road in Obingwa LGA by Track-Care Global Construction Company Nig Ltd
f. Repair and Overlay of 2.5km failed sections along Opobo Junction/Emelogu and Azumiri Road, Obingwa LGA by Track-Care Global Construction Company Limited
g. Construction and Erosion Control of 0.875km Jesus Corpers Road with concrete drain, beside House of Assembly, Umuahia North LGA awarded to Ojez Integrated Services Ltd
h. Construction of 4.3km Umuopara Amano Isingwu to Mgboko Itungwa in Obingwa LGA by Track-Care Global Construction Coy Ltd
i. Rehabilitation/Reconstruction of 2.3km Road at Clifford University, Ihie in Isiala Ngwa North LGA
j. Rehabilitation and desilting of drain and reconstruction of Median at Azikiwe Road Aba South LGA measuring 2.15km
k. Procurement of essential vehicles for Government House, Umuahia and Lagos Laison Office
l. Reconstruction of 850m Ehi Road, Aba South LGA by Sannan Jadoon International Company Ltd
m. Reconstruction of 700m Cameron Road, Aba South LGA by Sannan Jadoon International Company Ltd
n. Construction of 6km road linking Ugwunagbo LGA Headquarters to Amapu with a spur to Umuchima Secondary School junction, by Medak Developers Investment Limited
o. Reconstruction of Umuchima Eluelu Road, Umuoram Ahia, Umuahia South LGA , off Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway by ID and S Limited
p. Rehabilitation of 1km Owerri Road, Umuahia North LGA by Surez Global Resources Limited
12. Council approved N150m (One Hundred and Fifty Million Naira) support to traders that have been relocated from Ariaria International Market and Ahia Ohuru Market both in Aba through Abia SME Bank
13. Council approved expedition of work at Ntigha Dry Port and partnership with existing port concessionaire
14. Council approved relocation of street beggars to existing homes with skill acquisition and primary education facilities
15. Council expressed satisfaction with the procurement of 4 new purpose built mobile clinics with facilities for child care, ultra sound and full theatre units
16. Council approved setting up of new ultra modern diagnostic center for Abia North Zone and another one to be located at Aba General Hospital with kidney and heart center at the latter in addition to a poly clinic, doctors quarters and new VVIP ward
17. Council approved modalities for payment of outstanding salaries owed senior secondary school teachers, ABSUTH and AbiaPoly workers before the end of the year.
Chief John Okiyi Kalu
Honorable Commissioner for Information, Abia State