Members of Abia State Executive Council (EXCO) met on Tuesday, 3rd November, 2020, under the Chairmanship of Governor Okezie Ikpeazu, PhD, and resolved as follows:
1. Exco expressed displeasure over the hijack of peaceful #EndSARS protests in the state by hoodlums who destroyed public and private properties as well as cost the state some lives and expressed sympathy with those who lost loved ones and properties in the melee.
2. Exco called on citizens to be vigilant in order to prevent reoccurrence of such destructive actions by hoodlums and expressed readiness to ensure the full implementation of the demands of genuine #EndSARS protesters as well as prioritize the restoration process by ensuring that the security architecture of the state is totally reinstated, medical facilities reconstructed and courts rebuilt using direct labour in partnership with Abia youths.
3. Exco directed the deepening and reinvigoration of training programmes for youths and artisans to ensure higher productivity and participation.
4. Exco applauded members of the inter-ministerial committee on COVID-19 for the early publication of Abia State COVID-19 account in 3 national newspapers and the state website as well as the prudent management and distribution of all the palliative items procured or received by the state.
5. Exco directed the inter-ministerial committee on COVID-19 to tie up the state’s effort to protect citizens from the disease and also ensure that protective materials are quickly distributed to all the public schools in the state.
6. Exco directed the ministry of women affairs to ensure that destitute persons are removed from Aba and Umuahia streets and taken to state run homes to learn new skills, rehabilitate and return them to contribute meaningfully to the economic growth of the state.
7. Exco approved the plan to renovate the old Nnamdi Azikiwe Secretariat, Ogurube Layout, Umuahia, in conjunction with Nigeria Society of Engineers, Abia Chapter.
8. Exco approved the renovation and subsequent commercialization of Abia State Staff Quarters, Okota, Lagos.
9. Exco approved the restructuring plan for Abia State Road Maintenance Agency.
10. Exco directed the setting up of a committee to review the proposal for the development of Azumini Blue River and Arochukwu Long Juju tourist sites.
11. Exco approved the interim burial plan for Late Dr Solomon Ogunji and called for total participation by all to honor him.
12. Exco received the report of the task force on employment racketeering in the state.
Chief John Okiyi Kalu
Honorable Commissioner for Information