1. As at 8am of Thursday, April 23, 2020, the State Rapid Response Team and medical protocol sub-committee of the inter-ministerial committee on COVID-19, in conjunction with the team from Federal Medical Center (FMC), Umuahia, have traced 209 contacts of the two index COVID-19 cases in Abia State.
2. This process which continued today covered mainly 3 LGAs of the state: Ikwuano, Ukwa West and Umuahia North. All those traced are currently in isolation and under surveillance and a team from World Health Organization (WHO) is providing support.
3. Both index cases, who are above 70 years with underlying medical conditions such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease and left ventricular failure are stable and receiving care at the FMC isolation center in Umuahia. One of the patients that was previously supported with oxygen is currently breathing well without any respiratory aid.
4. All the medical personnel involved in management of the patients and their family members are currently in isolation with samples from some already collected for testing.
5. We are awaiting results for the suspected case who is resident off Ikot Ekpene Road, Aba, and will inform appropriately as soon as the result returns from the NCDC testing facility.
6. All Abians and residents are strongly advised to continue to observe all the previously issued guidelines from NCDC and the state inter-ministerial committee, including compulsory use of face masks, regular hand washing with soap under running water, use of hand sanitizers, maintenance of social distancing and avoid leaving their houses except to buy food and drugs.
7. We urge our people to ensure that they abide by the existing lockdown order especially at this time of ongoing contact tracing when we do not know who may have been infected as enforcement agencies have also been directed to prosecute defaulters through the mobile courts and in line with the ABIA STATE INFECTIOUS DISEASES (EMERGENCY PREVENTION) REGULATIONS 2020
COVID-19 is real, stay safe for yourself and your loved ones.
Chief John Okiyi Kalu
Honorable Commssioner for Information, Abia State